Gajar ka halwa:
Commonly known as the carrot halwa or Gajar Pak,the halwa is one of the most famous dessert’s that is enjoyed by the people in the subcontinent.
It is mainly prepared from carrots,milk,sugar,almonds and cardamom for its aroma.
The dessert is usually eaten across all festivals like Eid,Diwali,Holi and Raksha Bandhan.It is served hot during the winter.
The dessert tastes even better if it is served with vanilla icecream.The creamy texture of the halwa and the icecream further elevates your taste buds.
The gajar ka halwa was first introduced during the period of the Mughals and the name originates from the Arabic word “Halwa”, which literally means “sweet”.
There are many different type’s of halwa’s that are prepared in the subcontinent. Gajar ka halwa is considered to be the classical dessert.
- Almond and cashew for garnish
- Wash the carrots thoroughly
- Rinse,peel and grate the carrots
- Take a large pan and turn on the heat
- Add a small amount of ghee and wait till it heats up
- Now add the well rinsed and grated carrots in the pan and stir well
- After a minute,add milk and boil the entire mixture.
- Add sugar
- Stir all the ingredients and cook on low flame
- Keep stirring the mixture for about 4-5 minutes
- Cover the pan with the lid and wait for it to cook for about 5 minutes
- Make sure you keep stirring in between to prevent sticking of the mixture
- Add the garnish like cardamom,almonds and cashews as it elevates the taste of the halwa
- Add cream and stir well again
- Keep cooking till all the milk gets absorbed
- Gajar halwa is ready to be served
- Add a bit of dry fruits if required.
Do give us your valuable feedback,as it would help us to improve and make it user friendly.Stay tuned for such amazing blogs.